The Rt. Hon. Herb Gray Parkway (formerly the Windsor-Essex Parkway) is a major $1.4 billion highway infrastructure project under construction in the municipalities of Windsor, LaSalle, and Tecumseh, in Ontario, Canada. This once-in-a-generation undertaking that will improve traffic flow at Canada’s premier trade gateway is unprecedented in its community enhancement and environmental features for any highway, anywhere in Ontario.
The Rt. Hon. Herb Gray Parkway spans an 11 kilometre corridor. It includes three essential components:
- a six-lane below-grade freeway which is an extension of Highway 401
- a four-lane at-grade service road network which is an extension of Highway 3
- 300 acres of green space which will include 20 kilometres of recreational trails, ecological restoration sites and thousands of new native trees and vegetation.
Upon completion, the Parkway will ensure the safe and efficient movement of people, goods and services to and from a proposed new Canadian inspection plaza and international bridge, separate local and international traffic, and eliminate stop-and-go traffic in residential areas.
Construction started in 2011 and it is estimated that the project is generating approximately 12,000 jobs by creating business opportunities, attracting new investment, and supporting existing industry. The majority of these jobs are in the Windsor-Essex region. It is anticipated that the Parkway will be open to traffic in late 2014.
It is being delivered by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure Ontario through an Alternative Financing and Procurement model under a design, build, finance and maintain contract with the Windsor Essex Mobility Group and their joint venture Parkway Infrastructure Constructors.
Check out real-time road conditions along the Herb Gray Parkway corridor by viewing the Ministry of Transportation COMPASS traffic cameras. Click on any camera image along Highway 401, Talbot Road/Highway 3 or Huron Church Road.
Date: Week of March 3, 2014
- Huron Church Road southbound right turn lane at Todd Lane is closed.
- Highway 3 eastbound right lane between Highway 401 split and Outer Drive is closed.