The Rt. Hon. Herb Gray Parkway (the Parkway) is a major $1.4 billion highway infrastructure project under construction in the municipalities of Windsor, LaSalle, and Tecumseh, in Ontario, Canada. This once-in-a-generation undertaking that will improve traffic flow at Canada’s premier trade gateway is unprecedented in its community enhancement and environmental features for any highway, anywhere in Ontario.
The Rt. Hon. Herb Gray Parkway spans an 11 kilometre corridor. It is composed of three essential components:
- a six-lane extension of Highway 401 that runs below-grade from the area west of the North Talbot Road Bridge to E.C. Row Expressway and then parallel to E.C. Row Expressway to Ojibway Parkway
- a four-lane, at-grade extension of Highway 3 including the multi-lane roundabout to the area of E.C. Row Expressway where it links into Huron Church Road
- the Parkway Trail running approximately 20 kilometres set within 120 hectares (300 acres) of green space situated alongside the two highway extensions and across the 11 tunnel tops.
Upon completion, the Parkway will ensure the safe and efficient movement of people, goods and services to and from a proposed new Canadian inspection plaza and international bridge, separate local and international traffic, and eliminate stop-and-go traffic in residential areas.
Construction started in 2011 and it is estimated that the project will create or sustain approximately 12,000 jobs through direct employment from construction activity and indirectly through numerous suppliers and service providers. The majority of these jobs are in the Windsor-Essex region. It is anticipated that the Parkway will be completed in summer 2015.
It is being delivered by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure Ontario through an Alternative Financing and Procurement model under a design, build, finance and maintain contract with the Windsor Essex Mobility Group and their joint venture Parkway Infrastructure Constructors.
Check out real-time road conditions along the Parkway corridor by viewing the Ministry of Transportation COMPASS traffic cameras. Click on any camera image along Highway 401, Talbot Road/Highway 3 or Huron Church Road.
Date: Week of April 19, 2015
- Cabana Road from Highway 3 to Northway closed Friday, April 17 until Monday, April 27. Only right turns from westbound Highway 3 allowed. View the public notice.
- Left turn lane from Highway 3 eastbound to Labelle Street; left turn lane from Highway 3 eastbound to Grand Marais Road West; left turn lane from Labelle Street to Highway 3 eastbound; left turn lane from Bethlehem Avenue to Highway 3 westbound closed. View the public notice.